Saturday, November 20, 2010

Book Paper Roses in RePurposed Packaging


I've already written about my new-found use or re-use of plastic packaging that comes with my food - for example, my new pink paper roses come in repurposed egg packaging to shield them from the distresses of shipping. I've recently expanded on the idea to include plastic packaging that comes with certain types of veggies and herbs - like grape tomatoes, baby spinach, arugula, lettuce, mint, basil and so on.

So, now, every plastic thing that comes into our home gets properly cleaned and stored for future use (we do try so diligently to stay away from plastic packaging and bags, but sometimes even organic produce comes in #1 recyclable plastic things).

I find that storing pretty paper creations in these re-purposed boxes saves us a trip to the crafts store to buy cardboard boxes. Plus, you get to see what's inside the plastic - a big advantage in my book, since I keep plenty of these in my home studio. Easy reference saves time. Re-purposed materials save money. Good for me, good for the planet - everybody wins :)


And speaking of re-purposing materials, these roses were made from the pages of an old book. Once its pages served their purpose in the reading department, I decided to give them another life in another form - as petals for paper flowers which will continue to give joy to like-minded people.

A touch of ink here and there, a bit of wire at the back and these beauties are ready to adorn gifts, take the place of bookmarks, sit prettily in little vases, or become a part of something bigger than themselves, a handcrafted bouquet, or a wreath perhaps...

1 comment: